Establishing a board of directors helps take your business to the next level. As a company grows, one may find it needs a board to keep the company running smoothly and efficiently. Being an entrepreneur, it is satisfying watching your company succeed, here are some tips to help you decide how to form the board of directors perfect for your firm.
- Always plan for the long term. Recruit directors you feel will make it a priority to further company growth.
- Root out the potential leader. During the establishment of your board, there will be an individual who stands out from the rest as your right hand man or woman. This individual should be a natural leader with exceptional governance skills. If possible this individual should be trained or chartered by the National Association of Corporate Directors
- Create clear and concise job descriptions for each member. Executive and non-executive directors should have a clear idea of their responsibilities. These job descriptions should help the board tackle issues directly and strategically.
- Each member should be and integral part of the team. Each should be diverse and well versed in their field of governance, but also be able to work well in a team environment.
- Pick those who are not afraid to disagree with you on certain issues. Each individual should not be afraid of conflict and should be able to challenge certain decisions they feel will be damaging to the company. The board is not there to agree with you %100 of the time, they are their to help the company exceed expectation.
- Seek consensus on all issues presented to the board. After discussion, presentation, and analysis, the board should be able to come to important decisions in matters of importance. Majority rules.
- Be clear about each individual’s specific role on the board and allow each to stick to his or her position. For example do not combine or confuse CEO and the chairman as one in the same; delegate accordingly.
- Respect the Hierarchy established on your board. It is the board’s collective wisdom and enhanced discipline that will get the job done and your company growing.
- Always seek expert advice. If you need help deciding on how your board should be set up, don’t be apprehensive about asking for help.
In this tough economy, it is the professionals at TechAssure that understand that it is the entrepreneur who will keep America’s economy on track. Contact a TechAssure member to learn more about the insurance products and services we provide in management liability. Let us help you keep your business growing.